Saturday, April 5, 2014

Broadway Market

Finally, after twenty years in Western New York, I made it into Broadway Market in Buffalo NY. Since Easter is two weeks away, Broadway Market just opened April 4 for the 2014 Easter season. It's open year round, but the big Easter kick-off was on the 4th of April.

View from Upstairs
Today happens to be my mom's birthday, so this year, she and I went up to Buffalo leaving at seven. A little over an hour later, we arrived at Broadway Market, parked in its free parking, and entered through a pair of double doors into the center of the market. When we arrived a little after eight, the market was just beginning to open. It opens daily at 8 am, but make certain to visit their website for events and holiday hours.

Broadway Market was founded in 1888 as a place where people could purchase their daily food items. Primarily known for its Old World food items, the Market is the go-to place for many people in Buffalo during Easter season. In fact, it's probably the busiest time of the year.

What I found interesting about the place was the variety of food available from almond pastries to traditionally Polish treats. Broadway Market was in the heart of the Polish portion of Buffalo, and many of the traditional foods they have are from Eastern Europe.

For me, when I go down the ethnic food aisles in the local grocery store, I find Mexican and Chinese cuisine. I rarely find anything beyond that, but today, I found other items. One of the odder items were the butter lambs - it's a tradition in the area, but I don't know why. There were Polish Easter eggs both real eggs and wooden eggs which are given as good-luck gifts, or talismans for the year. The egg is a symbol of fertility and hope because from it young are created.

The back part of the market was the meat section including the normal fish, pork, and steaks, but you can also buy tripe and pig snouts. I'm not nearly as adventurous with meat as I am with fruits and vegetables.

If you're visiting Buffalo, make certain you stop by at Broadway Market. It's worth a look, and you can find something sweet to brighten your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment