Saturday, February 1, 2014

Saturday Reads

I'm gearing back into a fuller writing schedule, though I won't be back to full schedule until March at the earliest. Starting today, I'm going to focus Saturdays on books and series that take place in and around the Buffalo and Lancaster areas. Not all of the books are written by local authors, and not all of the books are still in print. Some, to be honest, aren't even really all that well-written, but all take place in and around the areas.

The first book is called, Black Irish by Stephen Talty. You can click on the book to take you to Amazon*. I borrowed this book from my library for a couple of reasons (a) it happens in Buffalo, (b) it's a murder mystery, and (c) I liked the title.

I expected a good read, and what I found was a great, edge-of-my-seat sort of novel. It kept me guessing from the beginning of the book until the end. The story follows Absalom "Abbie" Kearney, a Buffalo detective who has returned home to Buffalo to help care for her father who is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's. When a man in her neighborhood goes missing, she's the one who is called in ... when the murders begin, it's up to her to wade through the history and opinions that make up South Buffalo.

For those not from the area, South Buffalo is a heavily Irish territory, and it holds onto that history. I found Black Irish provided a good look at the views - good and bad - that make up the area. Ironically, for me at least, I could relate to Abbie as she struggles with trying to fit into the community. I felt that Talty captured Abbie's desire to be a part of the community, and her frustration of being on the outside.

All in all, it's an interesting read. It paints a good picture of Buffalo now, as well as some of the regions within the city itself. If you're looking for a mystery, Black Irish is a good one to read.




*Full disclosure - for every click on the book, I receive money as part of the affiliate program.

No comments:

Post a Comment