Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Back Again

The past few days have been quite the interesting collection, so unfortunately, I've missed posting. Between two fairs, a book signing, and preparing for said fairs and book signing, I've been busy.

However, it's Christmas season now here in Western New York, and Lancaster County area, so the next few days, I'm going to take a look at different cultures and time periods to see how Christmas has been celebrated.



Both areas have a similar background: large German and English heritage with the occasional secondary ethnicity thrown in for good measure. Both areas are part of the original Thirteen Colonies, giving them both a long American history, yet in other ways they are different. Lancaster County area has a large Protestant influence from the Anabaptists, Baptists and Quakers whereas the Greater Niagara Region has a strong Catholic influence. These two parts of Christianity reflect on each area's celebrations in subtle, yet different ways.

Then there is the locations, economies, and general associations with the two locations that also adjust the celebration of Christmas. Believe me when I say, the differences are subtle, but they do exist, so sometimes I've blundered into a difference without realizing I did so. It's interesting since my part of Western New York is a farming community, not unlike where I grew up in the Dutch country.

Lastly, there are differences between the regions therewith. Lancaster County area has fewer differences than Western New York does, primarily because the region is smaller. If I included Southeastern PA as the region then I would have more differences because Lancaster area, the Brandywine area, and Philadelphia celebrate the holiday in slightly different avenues. Once again, subtly different, but different nonetheless.

In Western New York, we have three primary areas: Buffalo, Niagara, and the GLOW (Genesee, Livingston, Orleans, Wyoming) region. For clarification, not all of the GLOW region is a part of Western New York, but the G (Genesee County), the O (Orleans County), and the W (Wyoming County) are. Livingston County is technically a part of the Finger Lakes Region.

Tomorrow, for the WOW Wednesday, I'll focus a bit more on the differences between the two, but rest assured, I'm looking forward to showing you photographs and places in both locations that reflect the ways these two regions celebrate Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment