Friday, November 22, 2013

Foodie Friday

One of the things that I love the most about my two hometowns is the food. After all, I come from a Baptist, German influenced, Southern family. Besides, when you start looking at all the food places that come from the area (and surrounding areas), you can't help but enjoy a taste here and there.


My actual hometown (and the one I claim) is Oxford, PA on Route 1 which takes travelers from Maine to Key West. South of Oxford is a smaller town called Nottingham PA, the home of Herr's Snack Foods.

Personally, I am not a big potato chip fan, but Herr's chips are probably the only brand that I will eat. The company started in 1946 in Lancaster, but eventually moved to Nottingham by the 1960s. Whenever my family has the chance to visit Pennsylvania, we always stop for Herr's chips to take home to New York, since I rarely find them this far north.

Part of my enjoyment of Herr's chips come from it being in my hometown area, and the memories of traveling past the Herr's Factory every school morning for nearly six years. The aroma of fresh potato chips hovered over the immediate area of Nottingham PA. The factory is near the Route 1 Bypass that goes around Oxford and Nottingham, but when the wind was right, the scent of the chips wafted to the bypass area as my mom, sister and I traveled to school.

Tours are offered for anyone who wants to see how the potato chips are made, and if you have the chance, go visit. If you don't have time for the tour, you can always stop into the visitor's center and look around, purchase some snacks and go visit another location.



No comments:

Post a Comment